With your due date getting closer, is your hospital bag all packed and ready to go? If not, it’s probably a good idea to start preparing your bag to take with you to the hospital or birth center. Your baby may very well decide to appear earlier than expected, and if you’re in a rush it’s handy to have that bag packed and ready.
We’ve put together a list of useful items to bring in your maternity hospital bag.
Hospital bag must-haves
- Proof of identity as well as any written maternity medical notes.
- Birth plan, if you’ve created one
- Baby clothes and hat
- Food for you and your partner
- Baby car seat or carrier for the trip back home
Also in your hospital bag
- Soft clothes (and underwear) for you and a change of clothes for your partner
- Toothbrush and toiletries
- Own shower gel, shampoo and conditioner (hospital soap isn’t usually as nice)
- Cellphone and charger
- Your favorite candy, snacks and drinks for extra energy during labor
- Slippers or shoes that are easy to get on and off (going barefoot or in your socks on the hospital floor isn’t a good idea)
- Heating pad (if you can’t borrow one in the hospital)
- Soft nursing bra and nursing pads
Lives in: Berlin
Job: Blogs at www.littleyears.de
Family: Husband Roddy, 3-year-old son Xaver, and a baby on the way in May.
Isabel’s top picks for 9 things you need for a baby
What did you pack in your hospital bag?
I brought along everything I would pack for a short trip: underwear, comfortable clothes to change into, nice lingerie (I didn’t want to look too awful after giving birth), makeup, comfortable shoes, cellphone and, of course, clothes for the baby.
Did you forget anything important?
I’d packed baby clothes in size 56, which turned out to be far too big. No big deal, but next time I’ll bring a size smaller.
Did you pack anything you didn’t need?
We didn’t use that much since we didn’t stay in the hospital for very long. We actually went home after a few hours. But I don’t regret that I had everything with me, you never know what’s going to happen and how long you might stay.
What were the most essential things you packed in your hospital bag?
Makeup and toiletries were good to have so that I could freshen up after giving birth. It made me feel more energetic and fresher. But music, movies and those kinds of things were unnecessary – I simply didn’t have time for all that!